Thursday 17 November 2011

Release Technique 17/11/11

Today's class was quite intense, and constant, we didn't have time to relax really because even if we were in groups we were watching the other people and getting ready to go. I love the feeling of being worked and constantly going even if watching,  even when sweating, it shows my body is working hard! When other groups are dancing it is helpful just to stand and watch because you learn a lot from other people and learn a lot from other people's strengths and mistakes. Watching I can see when people are out of time so that makes me think about the timing etc I feel that one of my main strengths in dance generally is timing and a lot of people say it to me, I think this is because I have been brought up in my dance life with counts.

When I first came to university for this course I found it strange when we had a sequence and there were no set counts and I would automatically set my own counts without even knowing. This class is very much based on counts there is a count for every move and we have to stick to that if we don't then we do it again till we are correct whereas in some classes we have counts but they're a bit more relaxed so we can flow through the counts.

The question is; do you have to be able to count and keep in time to dance? Is timing important? I'm sure there are many arguments both for and against this. From past study at university Cunningham uses the chance method and often doesn't bring the music with the dance until the last minute but I'm sure even in this case the dance sequence will have counts and will still use the same counts and timing even if the music doesn't fit to this. Something to explore is to challenge the music, be with the beat of the music or not? I have just typed into google " is it important to have timing in dance" and this answer came up:


In dance, timing refers to moving with the beats of the music. However, having perfect timing means more than performing basic steps perfectly with music beats. It's not difficult to move with the beats, but it takes lots of practice to teach your mind and body how to actually feel the beats of the music.
Perfect timing is being able to "let go" and allow yourself to express your feelings through your movements, instead of trying to keep count of the beats in your head. When you achieve perfect timing, your dancing will appear relaxed and natural. You will no longer need to count beats, as your body will be fully aware of its place in the music at all times. Professional dancers are masters at perfect timing.
Bedinghaus T. http://dance.about.com/od/getstarteddancing/f/Timing.htm (accessed on 17/11/11)

My opinion is this may be applicable to some styles e.g. ballet or lyrical but I think in contemporary dance it varies and Cunningham proves this idea wrong with his "chance procedures".
This video below shows the floor sequence in this class and I think you will be able to see that every movement has a count and the movement goes with the music. To apply this to choreography it would be interesting to explore in the future going against the music and not going with the natural beat of the music, It would be an interesting exploration for me for the reasons I mentioned above about being brought up with going with the beat of the music and having counts for everything.


In this sequence I feel quite strong and grounded into the floor, In certain parts I could give more weight into the floor this gives a sense of 'umph' and shows the strength in the body gives it an extra dynamic.  the parts where I could give more weight are in the roll on my back make sure I get my feet planted into the floor and don't arch out of my back,feel all my back and feet connected to the floor. also on the very beginning don't control my legs too much, let them fall into the floor and also on the leg swings let my knees fall into the floor and let them be the initiation for the leg swing and my back coming off the floor.



This is the same sequence but of a different side, The bit that really catches my eye on this side and from this angle is from the backward roll and the spin round onto the floor, it gives a really nice twist in the back and head movement it allows me to give my weight into the floor but on this part I need to remember to keep my leg on the floor and not let it fling upwards,I need to find the right balance between being controlled but also giving my weight and not being controlled at all.


This is the Right side again but from a different angle can you see the movement that I mentioned above? I think this is a more clear angle and from this view I can see that in my press up that I let my core go down to the floor first instead of being in one piece. This is something I need to work on, my upper body strength as I feel this is quite weak and even if I'm strong for this sequence most of the way through this little bit lets it down brings attention to it for the wrong reason.



For this sequence I have had many corrections, before this quick section we do this movement but slower and feel quite strong and connected between my legs and arms whereas when we go quicken the movement up I feel that I loose the connectivity. I really need to think about this and also on the slow but at the end I need to think about leading from the knee and not letting the knee drop either when extending it or bringing back in. I think you will be able to see this more when I am doing it towards the back.

I have uploaded this video of a slap turn because in a previous blog I mentioned about having length in my movement and this is one movement that I had corrected.  At first I didn't really understand what was meant by length or having length but I have practiced and feel that I have understood now by the feeling in my body. In this turn I also need to remember to show my leg in second but again not to be too careful and let the initiation of my leg "slapping" against the other leg take my body round with weight and heaviness.

This technique feels comfortable. My body, feels relaxed but also quite strong and connected, I think when doing floor work I need to let more weight be given into the floor. I take the corrections given on board and practice and hopefully go to the next class improved or still working on it but showing that I'm thinking about it and haven't forgotten the corrections that have been given to me in the previous weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment