Monday 7 November 2011

Graham Technique 4/11/11

I haven't spoke about Graham technique in a while. My last blog was a while ago so what I aim to do in this post it to go over what my original goals were and explain how I feel I have improved on these, hopefully upload some pictures and video's of progression in class.

Original Personal Goals
  • Breathe into the movements and the contractions, don't fight against it.
  • Over time I need to work on deepening my contractions and getting a bigger range of movement, this will only come over time and with practice, not just a class once a week
  • Trying to create a bigger curve in my back when doing centre work.
With the first personal Goal about using the breath more, I have explained in previous blogs that I'm quite self conscience of doing this but as the term has being going on I have been trying to experiment with the use of breath and see how it works, I still need reminding to use it as I have not trained my body to do it automatically yet. I can definitely feel a difference in curves etc when using the breath I think this is because the body is following its own natural movement and not trying to fight against it, this allows me to get a deeper curve, I'm not sure whether it looks different from the outside but I can definitely feel it internally.

 For one of my other module: performance research I am going to research the idea of breath and how it affects the dynamics of a performance both internally and externally. I have chosen to research this because as I find it hard to use I think researching into it will give me greater understanding on how and why it helps movement and also I will be able to relate the different ideas to myself, technique wise and also in my choreography module.

I think that from when I last wrote about the Graham Technique, I said I had to work on contractions try and deepen the contraction. I do feel that I have improved slightly as I am understanding the technique more and more. The contraction is one of my main goals for the whole of the technique module because the contraction is the basis of the technique, just like the curve is like the basis of the Cunningham technique.

The Contraction came from the physical manifestation of grief in the body, it is a fundamental movement for Martha Graham's choreography and therefore this is why a lot of her exercises are based on movement with the contraction in mind. The contraction begins from the pelvis and travels up the spine, lengthening the space between each vertebrae in the spine, from the base to the neck and head. To enable for the contraction to take place it is accompanied with an exhalation of breath, this is another reason why |I need to improve on the use of breath. any change of the ribs, head and neck is a result from the contraction in the pelvis. From an untrained eye it may look like a hunch in the gut and hunched shoulders.

I have mentioned quite a lot about the Cunningham curve in past blogs and I feel like I understand the anatomy more now and to think about pressing my belly button towards the spine and not to bend forward from the hips.

Here I am doing an over curve on a rise, when I first tried this I was unable to balance and this is because I was not holding my core, I need to go up and over my rib cage to get a good curve and this will also help me engage my centre. I can see from this picture I hold tension in my fingers and also I sickle in me left ankle.

The same picture form a different ankle, You can see more here the tension in my fingers and also my weak left ankle. To be able to correct this I need to strengthen my ankle by doing rises's at the bar and making sure I get to the top of my demi-point.



This is a clip form the final phrase that we have been working on over the past two weeks. I think my strengths in this are that I cover the space well and also my jumps although on this clip I think I throw my weight a little bit too much on the side jete so I need to learn what is just the right amount for this. My weaknesses are that I need to remember to hold my centre and be precise on the movement and finish everything off because otherwise it all just melts into one big movement. Use dynamics and accents to make things stand out etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment