Wednesday 9 November 2011

Bartenieff Fundamentals




We focused on the 'yeild and push' and 'reach and pull' principles I think the sequence we focused on best shows the two working together but also working opposite to each other. 'yield and push' adds a sense of grounding to the sequence yielding into the floor and pushing yourself out of the floor, the movement travels up the body from these ideas. It gives one a sense of gravity and the pushing allows one to separate one from the other.

Peggy Hackney mentions in her book "making connections" that an early example of 'yield and push' is the early process of the birthing process, the babies lower body yields and pushes against the uterine wall, sequencing through the head, which then pushes against the cervix, causing it to dilate. Later the yield and push and the reach and pull leads to crawling and power to propel towards something becomes apparent and then eventually the yielding into the floor and pushing out of the floor leads to standing. Babies know these ideas naturally and don't have to think about them, it just happens for them.

Reach and pull gives me the ability to move in and out of the space and cover the space, it works in relation to the world that you are working in. Peggy Hackney mentions in her book "making connections" that when reach and pull is supported by yield and push it makes it possible to go towards something or someone and therefore giving the body a "choice." Again the birthing process is a good example of this as reach and pull guides the baby down the birth canal, again without out the baby knowing.

 I find it interesting how the baby can know all this and automatically uses these principals to crawls and stand up, how and when does this change and when does it change to not being a natural thing to do? why does it change when we get older? why is it more difficult? I have to think about it even though I know more about my body than a baby does, does this mean I'm over thinking how to move? Its a difficult question to answer and maybe it doesn't need to be answered as of yet, but something I can research into as personal development.

How it feels for me?

I love the feeling of the yield and pull not only in this sequence but in any sequence, the yield makes me feel really connected to the floor and grounded and the pull then makes me feel like I can accomplish anything e.g. jumping to any height because I am so connected and feeling the gravity and then the push gives me the push out of the floor I'm connected to to enable me to jump and then to land I have to yield back into the floor and feel it beneath me. When practicing the yield and push in class I could really start to feel it working my quadriceps as you are putting a lot of weight through your legs and allow it to fall into the floor again to feel grounded. This is a feeling that I only think about when I think about it specifically but I think in the video that I am going to upload shortly you can see it straight away on the certain parts it gives me the energy to push away from the floor and to get to the places I need to be, this would help me to move quicker as well because although I feel like I'm doing more work it gets you somewhere quicker and the drive and the strive to get there. The energy from the floor that travels up through your body gets you there.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment